Yesterday had to be one of the most fun events I’ve ever been involved with. I’m sure this had a lot to do with the fact that it was about one of my favorite things (bacon) but I think the key to it all was the amazing people that turned out.
Masterbacon was a tremendous success by all accounts (IMHO). 32 total entries, 80+ people, great venue, awesome pictures, lots of fun, a bribe-or-two and of course the launch of a new site.
As with any inaugural event, we had a few hiccups and learned a lot along the way. We changed some of the awards on the fly with the help of our amazing judges. The winners were:
- Grand Prize: Warren Zimmerman for “Blue Cup Special”
- Runner-up: Sarah Allison for “Pig Pouches”
- Most Creative use of bacon: Ali Gidion for “Better than sex sushi”
- Most likely to tempt a veggie: Chef Gabriel from Davis Street Tavern for “Bacon & Eggs”
- Best Presentation: Amy Zimmerman for “Peanut Butter Bacon Sandwiches”
- Best “Would-have-been-better-hot”: Trinity Steiner for “Cheesy Bacon Chipotle Dip”
- Best Name: Brent Hieggelke for “B’oars”
- Best Bacon dish by a kid: Kalea Kaos for “Marshmellow stuffed with bacon”
I’ll be working on getting the recipes up for the dishes that had recipes submitted in the coming days.
Of course none of this would have been possible without all of you:
- Davis Street Tavern for being such gracious hosts and whipping up some awesome bacon-themed drinks.
- Everyone who brought a dish … too numerous to name here but thank you all!.
- The judges were amazing: Cami Kaos, Kelly Guimont, Andy Baio, Pete Grillo, Ryan Snyder, Nate Diniro, Gary and Gerry.
- Crystal Beasley for bringing some awesome Masterbacon swag.
- Aaron Hockley for shooting some amazing photos of the event.
There will definitely be a 2nd Annual Masterbacon … that you can count on. We got some great feedback from folks on the event as well. If you have any ideas on how to improve it, by all means send it my way by leaving a comment on this post. One thing I know we’ll do in the future is have a “judges” table which is where a small bite-sized portion of the dish can be set aside for the judges so others can start eating right away.
Thanks again to everyone involved and we’ll see you all next time!