Masterbacon is less than two weeks away (1/17/2009) and the BaconGeek.com crew has been slavin’ away to make sure its a fantastic event. The first thing we need to update folks on is the venue change. We’ll be holding Masterbacon at the Davis Street Tavern in Old town. This is a great new venue just 3 doors down from Backspace. I’ve updated the upcoming event so please pass it along to anybody that you know that is attending.
Where: Davis Street Tavern (map)
When: Saturday January 17th, 2009 – 1pm – 4pm (judging starts at 2pm sharp!)
Why: Because bacon tastes good
Who: Come one, come all! (yes, minors are okay at DST)
We’ve been thinking long and hard about the ground rules:
- Participation is required; either you’re bringing a dish, help to judge, dress up as a piece of bacon or generally talk trash. There are no on-lookers at Masterbacon.
- Please send a note to scott @ my last name (its ‘kveton’) dot com and let us know that you’ll be bringing a dish. Ideally you’ll send along the recipe at the same time but that’s not required.
- Those bringing dishes (assuming we get a decent turn-out) should expect to make enough for 10-15 servings.
- Try to bring your dish in an oven safe (Pyrex or otherwise) container. Davis Street Tavern is offering up space to keep dishes warm until the judging begins (which is frickin’ awesome).
- Please bring a hand-written or typed (or you can email ahead of time if you want) the recipe for your bacon dish as the winning dishes recipes will be published on BaconGeek.com.
Of course there will be prizes. The folks at Baconshirts.com have kicked in some t-shirts and aprons and we’ll have a special mystery sponsor there as well with all kinds of fun t-shirts to hand out. If you’re interested in sponsoring or judging this event, by all means, drop me a line (see address above).
Judging will work as follows:
- The number of entered recipes will determine the total number of judges – e.g. 12 recipes means 6 judges.
- Judges are chosen on a first-come-first-serve-basis with a bias towards those who have traveled.
- Judges are each given N votes where N = the number of judges.
- Judges taste each dish and award one point to each of their favorite dishes for a total of N awarded points. Judges are not required to use all of their votes.
- Winning bacon dishes are the ones with the most awarded points from the judges.
In addition Grand Prize and Runner-up, we’ll also have several special awards:
- Most creative use of bacon
- Most veggie friendly use of bacon
- Best presentation
- Best “would-have-been-better-hot”
- Worst use of bacon (is there such a thing?!)